Wednesday, June 7, 2017

School's Out! Bring on the Summer Reading Challenge!

Today is the boys' (BB & JJ) last day of school for the season. I've been on a mission to find the neatest ideas to keep them busy (while making fabulous memories) while they are off.  
I absolutely loved this idea found at Wife Mommy Me – A Summer Reading Bingo Board, and while a lovely free printable is offered, I wanted a more personalized board to fit each boys’ interests.  We have one hooked on dinosaurs, one on wrestling and one on trains.  
As the boys’ ages range from 9 to 4 I also googled “summer reading challenges” for more ideas and ended up on this Pinterest board. Oh! the creativity and inspiration! A super special thank you to all of you who share your inspiration and creativity. I appreciate you.
After spending an obscene amount of time (I can browse all day) looking through all these fabulous ideas, this is the Bingo Board I made for the boys (they will each have their own).  Note: the finished board is much larger.

2017 Summer Reading
BINGO Board


read
about
trains

browse through a kid’s cookbook
then è
ê
make a snack from the book

read a book about plants, then è
ê
plant a flower in a pot, watch it grow

read
in
bed

read
about
trucks and cars,
then è
ê
draw a town on poster board, drive toy cars over the roads

read
about
animals,
then è
ê
visit
the
zoo

visit
the library,
then è
ê
get a
library
card

FREE
SPACE


read a scary story,
then è
ê
make a scary mask

write
and illustrate a mini book,
then è
ê
have a book party and read your book
out loud

read
about
dinosaurs,
then è
ê
visit
the
museum

make a
bookmark;
use it in your book

visit
the
bookstore,
then è
ê
buy a new book, to add to your collection

read under a starry sky

watch a
movie based on a book,
then è
ê
read
the
book
Instructions: read a book, complete an activity.  Put a X through the square as you complete each challenge.
NOTE: Supplies for all activities will be provided by Grammy.


My bet is Brendan will try to fill his in the first week, so I made sure to add things that would need to be done in a group, and places we would need to travel to.  I also want this challenge to last over the three vacation months.  

For the “write and illustrate a mini book,” I used the Mini Book Template found at Teacher Idea Factory.  

I am loving this idea!!  I am so looking forward to this summer with the boys.

I would love to hear YOUR ideas for summer fun for the kiddies! Please share.

Enjoying every day,

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment